TMD/TMJ Therapy in Prescott
What Is TMD Therapy?
Are you one of the more than 15% of AmericansOpens in the Delta Dental website who suffer from chronic facial pain? Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD) may be the reason why.
The joint that connects your jaw to your skull is called the temporomandibular joint (TMJ), and it’s what allows you to chew, speak, and smile. When there are problems with your TMJ, a Prescott dentist may recommend TMD therapy.
You might be suffering from TMD if you have any of the following symptoms:
How Do We Resolve Your TMJ Issues in Prescott, AZ?
Why Choose Distinctive Dental Care for Your Treatment?
We are known in our community for offering the latest in dentistry techniques and technology while focusing on patient care and comfort.
Our dentists are constantly updating their skills and education to make sure you are getting the best dentistry and care possible:
“Every person at Distinctive Dental Care makes me feel valued as a client. Dr. Aaron made time the same day of my appointment to repair my tooth with a filling and ensure that his pain-free work did not interfere with my splint (to correct my bite). I feel lucky to be a patient at Distinctive Dental Care and to have found a practice so technically sophisticated while equally humanly caring.”
– Claire E. (5-Star Google Review)
Do You Have Questions About TMD Therapy?
- What causes TMD? TMD is usually found in adults between 20 and 40 years of age.
Some of the common causes include:
- Missing teeth that lead to jaw misalignment
- Bruxism – grinding the teeth. Many unconsciously do this while they sleep.
- Arthritis in the jaw joints
- Stress – leading to tense muscles in the neck, shoulders, and jaw
Our dentists will be able to tell you after a thorough exam whether they can help your TMD with their advanced dental techniques. In some cases, they may refer you to other medical specialists for help.
- Can't I just treat my pain at home? There are certain things you can do on your own to alleviate the pain caused by TMD.
Try one of these simple remedies:
- Practice relaxing your face, jaw, neck, and shoulders muscles
- Switch to soft foods temporarily while the inflammation in your muscles calms down
- Over-the-counter medications can control the pain caused by TMD
- Use hot and cold compresses to reduce swelling and inflammation
The drawback with these solutions is they are temporary and only target the symptoms, not the cause of the problem. Our TMD/TMJ experts in Prescott will pinpoint the actual cause of your pain and work to find a permanent and lasting solution!
- What does laser treatment for TMD involve? MLS (multiwave locked system) Laser Therapy is the use of specific wavelengths of light to treat painful and debilitating conditions.
MLS Laser Therapy is a painless treatment that lasts an average of 6-9 minutes. Most people experience positive results in 1 to 3 treatments, with the average course of treatment being 7 to 10 sessions.
The effects of MLS Laser Therapy are cumulative; therefore, you can expect to see improvement as you proceed through your treatment plan. It is critical that once you start, you complete the course of treatments recommended by our dentists.
Benefits of laser therapy:
- Accelerated tissue repair and cell growth
- Non-surgical treatment
- No negative side effects
We would be happy to answer any other questions you have about laser treatment for TMD, just give us a call at (928) 445-3181.